Monday, December 29, 2008

Everything I Know About Business I Learned From Poker

This is a great blog post from Tony Hsieh, the CEO of Zappos.com. Here is his Wiki bio:

Tony Hsieh (pronounced "Shay") is the current CEO of online shoe seller Zappos.com. Prior to joining Zappos, Hsieh co-founded and sold the internet advertising network LinkExchange to Microsoft for $265M in 1998. Hsieh graduated from Harvard University with a BA in Computer Science.
Like Tony, I agree that everything I know about business, I learned from poker. The only area he did not stress enough in my view is networking. That is the one thing which has helped me the most in both poker and business. I was a terrible poker player when I surrounded myself with other terrible players. When I met great players and surrounded myself with them, my game took off.

In business it is well known that relationships and connections, often times, mean much more than how hard you work or how smart you are. Having the right mentors, business partners and advisers in business can make all the difference. Much like poker.