Thursday, February 09, 2006

Just Do It

I don’t want this post to sound egotistical or like I feel like I’m better than anybody else or anything. Though I’ve always thought a lot about this, even more so over the last few months. I get emails and IM’s and talk to people all the time who are at least as capable and bright as me and many who are more so. They all act jealous of my life and like they are incapable of doing some of the things I am doing and have done. This is so frustrating to me, especially when many of them are friends I’ve had for a very long time.

There is nothing special about me. I probably have more flaws than most people. All I have is that I do things. I don't talk about stuff that I'd like to do and get all excited about it and then not act on it. I do it. I wanted to quit my job to start my own company. I did it. I wanted to put my company on hold so I could try and play poker for a living. I did it. I wanted to pack up all my stuff and put it in storage so I could move to Thailand. I did it. I wanted to break up with an amazing girl so I could see the world. I did it. I wanted to take a stab at playing with the Big Boys at the 215's. I did it (and got bitch slapped). Don't be scared. Don't make excuses for why you can't do things. Don't be worried about failure. Failure is part of life. So is living. Live.

The hardest part about doing something you’ve always wanted to do is doing it. Everything else is easy. If you want to take a trip to Europe, buy the plane ticket. If you want to move out of your parents house, put down a deposit on a new place. If you want to play poker for a living, put in your two weeks notice at work. If you have a great idea for a new product or a business, start it. You don’t need to have huge plush offices and a staff of a hundred to run that business. You can do it in an hour a week at first. Build a crappy website (or a have a friend do it for you for $20) and sell your products for free on Craigslist. Whatever it takes. Just do it. So many people are so afraid of failure that they limit themselves and what they are capable of doing.

If you really want something, you really really want it. Just do it. Don’t procrastinate or make excuses for yourself or look for reasons why you can’t do it. Just fucking do it.


Thanks for reading, now get back to the tables!


Wild Bill