Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Going Pro: Week 2

Hello all and thanks for coming back to check on the second weeks progress. The second week was overall about a 6 on a scale of 1-10 for enjoyablity, with financial results a bit better than this. I broke even, lost less than 100 or won less than 200 every day until Saturday. This is while living, eating, sleeping and breathing poker. Ever have dreams of poker hands? I do, all the time. Maybe this is just something to be gotten used to but for me, it was a bit difficult to take. When Saturday finally rolled around I was sure ready for the streak that came in, I finished the day up around a grand and with a much needed confidence boost.

I started off the week (which I count as beginning on Tuesday for those of you wondering where this post was yesterday-this is due to the fact that Monday's are my best day and if I take days off they are most likely going to be Tuesday and Wednesday's) playing a lot of MTT's mixed in with sets of $30+3 SNG's. I made it deep in a number of MTT's but never cashed big, busting each time before the final table. Some beats, some of them I just played my short stack right and was lucky to get as far as I did.

The 33's weren't a lot of success, though I did make some money in them. I just found it odd to be playing $100+9 MTT's and then a set of $30+3 SNG's, so I decided on Friday to take a shot higher, in the $50+5 SNG's. Things started fantastically well, as they usally do when going to a new level (for me at least). Friday would have been a good day had it not been for the MTT buy-ins pulling down the numbers. At the end of the day I decided to give one of the local cardrooms a try and found the location of one I had heard of about a half hour from me. They had a $100-200 Buy-In $2-5 Blind NLHE game spread. The fish were plentiful and with an hour I was up over $300. Then I caught two bad hands with KK losing to AQ all in PF and then flopping OESFD and losing to AA. I ended up giving back the won money plus $185 of my own and after the last big hand I called it a night.

Saturday I woke up at the butt-crack of noon and came into the office and started to get all of my technical gadgetry setup. PokerTracker, PlayerView, SNG Tracker and all of these other wonderful tools are something I have always had on the back burner out of pure laziness and lack of technical knowledge. Well now I know I need to start using every tool available to me, so I got them started, and finished getting them all installed and running on Sunday. I watched movies on the laptop while trying to qualify for the Million Gauranteed, $280 into that quest I decided to regroup. I decided to not play any more MTT's for a bit, and focus on building my roll up and getting some steady income before undertaking speculative poker risks (such as qualifiers, MTTs etc.).

The rest of the day was aweome. Just playing SNG's was perfect, I got my focus going and did very well, profiting around $1,000 on the day. Just like that I was showing a respectable profit for the week.

Sunday I only got in about 3 sets of $55's before I took some advice from a friend and took an evening off of poker and went on a date. I've been totally putting off everything else in life for the last couple of weeks and just playing. If this is going to last I need some balance. Date went well and was a nice way to not think about poker after the taxing week. Afterward I came back and decided to play a couple of late night sets, first one was 1st, 1st, 1st, 4th. Second one I busted all 4. Funny game. So with that Sunday also showed a profit and I went home for the night.

Monday got off to a fantatic start with me just playing 55's. After 4 sets I was up just under $300 and making a slow steady profit with each set (what I wouldn't give for it to always be like that). Then on the 5th set I bubbled out of 3 and had a $220 loss. Thats poker. I decided that would be a good time for a lunch break and took off for a bit. When I came back it was 15 minutes until the Super Monday was starting, and as taking 2nd in that a month ago is what got this journey off the ground, I decided to give it a try. Bad idea. Got my QQ all-in pre against KK early on with little choice in the matter and that was about that. Killed my momentum for the day and put me in a crappy mood. Took a break for awhile to do some chatting and stock research then got back on the ball with about the best run of PF hands I've ever seen, then about the worst boards.

Sufferend my first significant downswing with a 1/16 ITM streak at the 55's. I had AA lose to two non-pair undercards twice, KK to the same once, and big pairs lose to lower pairs three times I can recall. Mixed in were assorted other more routine beats like AK losing to A5 etc. Every time I got down to the bubble in these 4 sets it was looking nice, then I'd pickup a huge hand and think I was gonna close and WHACK! Thats poker. Down $510 in just over 3 hours.

Just about that time I started catching up on some 2+2 reading and got an IM from Lacky, 'chipleader', he was doing well in the Super, as he has been doing well in everything lately...and got to watch him luckbox his way all the way down to a HU chiplead. In the end the cards didn't fall his way but still a nice little 17k to throw on the pile of what has already been a phenomenal week and month for the guy. Big ups to lacky! Not only is he a great poker player, but a great guy. He's really reached a helping hand out to me in this quest, as he's been doing it for a couple of years now, and given some invaluable advice.

---------------

So all in all it was a good fiscal week,. it showed a profit but was difficult to navigate. I was having some doubts about this endeavor mid-week, not for fear of going broke, as I wasn't losing, but for fear of not making any serious money. Things started looking up toward the end of the week, then somewhat of a crash landing took place Monday evening. Them are the breaks I guess.

One very good note was a collaboration that took place on Monday between me and a couple of good friends and some fellow 2+2ers. As my current rakeback deal only gives me 20% and these others are in a similar spot, we've decided to try and pool our collective revenue's and get a better deal from Empire under one affiliate account. The ultimate goal would be to acheive a top level % of 3o+, obviously the more people we pool with, the better the chance of that. At minimum we'll be able to get the 25% they offer for $10k+, and that will mean a lot to the bottom line in lean times. Anybody that can provide any tips on this process, or who has any other questions about it, feel free to post here or contact me through 2+2.


I was asked to post results from week to week, so I will start that below:

I have decided to only post STT results and not my overall win/loss records for cash games or for MTT play. I'd hate to get into any trouble with the IRS should I make a mistake in my accounting here, though for SNG's it is flawless with Hood's amazing SNG Tracker.


Since going pro STT totals are as follows:

ROI: 14%
ITM: 35%
TOURNIES: 285
PROFIT: $2339

120 of these are 33's
123 are 55's
The rest are 109's and 215's

Until next time,


Wild Bill